If you wonder how to unlock text messages on Android, you’re not alone. In fact, according to a survey by Pew Research Center, more than 30 percent of Americans prefer texting to talking on the phone.
Sometimes, however, you may come across a locked text message on Android that cannot be deleted without permission from the user. This can lead to problems, such as not being able to delete old messages and having your device cluttered with outdated information.
Fortunately, there is a way to remove lock symbol on text message Android. This article will provide you with all the information you need to do so, including what locked text messages are, what issues they cause, and how to unlock them on popular Android devices such as Samsung. Google Pixel and Xiaomi series phones. Read on to learn more about unlocking your text messages!
Why Is There a Lock Symbol on My Text Message
Why is there a lock icon on my text messages? When you compose a text message, your phone stores the data in an encoded form (encrypted) so that it can be sent securely via cellular towers and accessed only by the intended recipient.
However, this process can sometimes lead to messages becoming “locked, ” meaning they cannot be deleted or edited without first unlocking them. This is done as a security measure since the content of these messages may contain sensitive information like passwords or confidential business communications. That’s why hackers also look for how to unlock text messages.
Although locked messages can be beneficial in some cases, they can also cause problems if you need to delete or edit them quickly but cannot do so due to their status being locked. Fortunately, there is a way to fix the problem, and the process is relatively straightforward.
How to unlock messages:
- Go to your main screen and select the Messages app.
- Locate any locked messages you want to unlock and tap on them.
- You should then be given a prompt asking permission to unlock the message. Simply tap “yes” or “unlock”, depending on your device.
- After the message is unlocked, you can delete or edit it as desired.
The process for how to unlock text messages on Android is slightly different depending on the brand of phone you are using, but the basic steps outlined above should work for most devices. We’ve reviewed the process for some of the most popular Android phones to outline how exactly you can unlock text messages on each device.
From Device to Device: How to Remove Lock Symbol on Text Messages
Android owners know better than anyone that no two devices are the same. The process of how to unlock messages will vary depending on the model you own. And, as the statistics shows, the most popular Android phones are:
- Samsung. With a wide range of devices leading the way, Samsung phones have become the go-to choice for Android users. The top reasons include the availability of screen sizes, camera quality, and overall performance. Security features of Samsung devices make users question why is there a lock symbol on my text message.
- Xiaomi. The counterweight to Samsung, the Chinese brand Xiaomi is making its presence felt in many markets. Its popularity is driven by its budget-friendly pricetags and excellent features.
- Google Pixel. Enabled with the latest Google technologies, the Pixel range of devices is perfect for those who want a powerful Android experience. In addition to its specs, the Pixel line stands out for its unique interface and design.
These phones all come with their own set of features, which can make it difficult for users to know how to unlock text messages on their device. Whether you’re an experienced user or a fresh convert, the following sections will help you understand how to delete text messages on the most popular Android phones.
With your convenience in mind, we’ve put together simple and quick guides for each brand on how to unlock text messages on Android. So whether you’re frustrated by locked messages on your Samsung phone or want to make sure you stay in control of your Xiaomi device, read on!
Samsung is one of the world’s leading phone manufacturers, offering a diverse range of devices to suit different users. Whether you’ve got an entry-level device or the latest flagship, Samsung phones are always popular.
Unfortunately, Samsung also offers an unfortunate downside – how to unlock messages. Here’s how you can remove them:
- Navigate to your Message+ app.
- Find the message you want to delete and long press it.It’s an essential step on how to remove lock symbol on text messages: unless you press text, you won’t see the hidden menu.
- Tap the ‘More’ option located on the top-right corner of your screen.
- Select ‘Unlock’ from the menu that appears.
- Confirm the action by tapping ‘OK’ on the confirmation popup.
Once you’ve done with the steps on how to unlock text messages on android, delete your SMS like any other. Alternatively, you can delete the whole conversation thread, which should also remove the locked message, depending on the phone.
Note: Some Android devices may require you to tap the ‘Lock’ option to unlock a message. If this doesn’t work with the issue of how to remove lock symbol on text messages, try switching your phone off and on again, or reinstall the messaging app.
The Google Pixel range of phones is designed to make a user’s life easier. As such, the process of how to unlock text messages should be no problem at all.
These phones run the latest version of Android and use an internal security system that allows users to lock their text messages. This gives users additional control over the privacy of their conversations and keeps unwanted people from accessing them.
- Press and hold the message that needs to be unlocked, then tap on ‘More’.
2. From there, select ‘Unlock conversation’ or ‘Unlock all conversations’ to complete steps on how to unlock text messages on Android.
Pro-tip: if you have more than one locked message in the same conversation, it will be much faster to unlock them all by selecting ‘Unlock all conversations’.
Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi also has their own method how to remove lock symbol on text messages. Since its phones are based on the Android operating system, this method is similar to ones used by other manufacturers.
1. Open the Messages app and select the locked conversation.
2. Then long press on the required message and select ‘More’ from the top-right corner of your screen. This will present an option to unlock all conversations in that thread.
Once you have selected this option, a confirmation box will appear asking whether you want to perform this action – simply select ‘OK’ to confirm, and that’s all!
You will now be able to delete any locked messages as normal without having to seek permission from anyone else.
Pro-tip on how to remove lock symbol on text messages.: The steps for unlocking messages may vary slightly depending on the Android phone you are using.
For instance, some phones may ask you to select ‘Unlock All Messages’ after selecting ‘More’ from the menu instead of directly presenting a confirmation box.
It is also worth noting that many Android phones have an inbuilt security feature that prevents users from deleting conversations with locked messages. This means that while you can unlock all conversations, they will remain visible in your inbox unless deleted manually. If this happens, simply long press on the conversation and select ‘Delete Conversation’ to remove it completely.
Locked messages can be hugely annoying as they can’t be deleted from phones without permission from the sender/recipient. This makes it difficult to understand how to unlock text messages on Android.
Fortunately, though, locking text messages is a feature that most users rarely need to use – so if you’re running into issue with locked texts, it’s best just to ignore them and focus on the other messages in your inbox.
Hopefully, this guide has helped you understand locked messages and how to unlock text messages on Android. If you’re still having trouble, it’s best to contact your phone manufacturer or visit a local mobile repair shop for additional help. W
ith the right advice and support, you should be able to get back on track and unlock any locked text messages quickly and easily. Good luck!